This is the first post (with many more to come I hope) in my Friday Thoughts series. The idea for this series beamed into my head on awaking at 6 this morning. It has resulted from my reflections on my actions over the last two weeks.
Take your own advice – I looked at my situation from the viewpoint of what would I suggest if this was a friend and not myself. It was very interesting to hear the me voice inside of my head offering some very sound advice. Made me realise how much easier it is to help a friend rather than yourself.
- Be a friend to yourself – My words to a friend would be that sometimes you have to take time out from being superwoman and slow down and take care of you – mind, body and soul.
- Look at your own expectations of yourself – Most of us have much higher and unrealistic expectations of ourselves than we would of others. We never want to appear as if we aren’t on top of everything. The reality check for me at this point was that I was trying to live up to my own unrealistic goals and wait for it – that I am not and do not have to be superwoman. I want to enjoy all my life in balanced way.
- Think it through and make adjustments – I looked at and prioritised my personal and work life and came to the conclusion that adjustments were most definitely needed. The two major outcomes from this were that I asked for help and had to admit that if I wanted to keep being involved in some of my personal / professional activities I would need to cut back on the amount of time I was putting into them.
- Listen to your inner voice, feelings and body – Check in regularly with how your mind, body and soul is reacting to what is going on around you in this wonderful and crazy life. Don’t wait till you crash and burn.
- Value and respect yourself – We can’t give to others if we aren’t giving and forgiving to ourselves.
None of what I have written is earth shattering so why is it so hard to do?