THE WAY AHEAD FOR 2019
Welcome to 2019. How do you set yourself up for a happy, fulfilled and successful year? Many people set New Year Resolutions but these never seemed to create any difference to my life. That all changed in 2012 when I started to choose a Lighthouse Word to give me direction and purpose. The words that have given me a way to guide and direct me through my years have included:-
- 2018 Empowerment
- 2017 Questions
- 2016 Focus
- 2015 Balance & Momentum
- 2014 Impossible which translates to I’m Possible
- 2013 Declutter
- 2012 Celebrate
After much deliberation over the last two weeks I have finally decided on my LIGHTHOUSE WORD for 2019 – STRENGTH.
Since adopting an annual LIGHTHOUSE WORD I have noticed positive steps in my thinking, actions, achievements, gratitude and adopted an approach to every day that creates a pathway to become an improved me every day. For 2019 I want this to contine and I want the STRENGTH to:-
- move forward in a positive way that doesn’t drain my energy,
- be there to suppoprt others in their difficult times,
- respond to rather than react to situations (I find reacting to situations very energy draining),
- ask for help when I need it both personally and professionally,
- step out of my confort zone both personally and professionally so that I can explore new opportunities and grow,
- admit to those close to me that I may not be coping as well as I would like,
- move forward with Individually You and create new workshops and an online program,
- make improved choices so that my fitness and health continues to support me in the way I want it too,
- recognise when I need to step away from things and have some down time,
- give myself opportunities to engage in more creative pursuits such as collage, gardening, music,
- to take care of myself and feel the gratitude that is in my life,
- to make a difference to my own life as well as others.
The word STRENGTH is going to be my 2019 benchmark to assess whether my choices, actions, reactions, intentions, opportunites, thinking, beliefs and values are creating a stronger, more improved and happy me. It will ensure that I am accountable and guiding me to create and live a fulfilled year.
WHAT DOES THE WAY AHEAD FOR 2019 LOOK LIKE FOR YOU?
What Does Starting a New Year Mean?
For me the new year is not about new beginnings. It is about continuing to grow and learn from the life lessons and experiences of the previous year. I like to think about how I am going to approach and move forward so that I have positive change in my thoughts, beliefs, actions, experiences, success and happiness.
Looking back is sometimes the way to move forward. The three words I would use to describe 2017 would be:-
- challenging – physically, emotionally and mentally I lost my way and came to a complete stop because I didn’t have the mental or physical capacity to do anything. Feeling this out of control with my life was scary and I came to a complete standstill.
- unexpected – I didn’t see this coming. I was in denial about how I was feeling and had ignored many warning signs over a period of time. Accepting and admitting out loud to another person that I wasn’t coping was the first step towards regaining myself and my life.
- self focussed – I needed to step aside to give myself the time and space to focus on my own well being and healing. Making the decision to step aside and consider stopping my business was so very hard but essential to my future well being. I have mostly thought of myself as being invincible and able to bounce back quickly.
2017 wasn’t the year that I had planned but it was a year that I gave back to myself and learnt some very valuable lessons to take with me into the future.
Lesson 1 – Recognise My Vulnerability
- I can’t fix everyone’s problems but I can be there to support and help when needed.
- My emotional state impacts greatly on my back which then results in pain and not being able to function at the level I want.
- It is not possible to do everything all of the time – need to be more realistic.
Lesson 2 – What is Important to Me?
- Making a difference to myself and others life – personal and business.
- Planning time to be with friends and family.
- Being creative – gardening, collaging, sewing, styling, playing piano and flute.
- Continuing with my business.
Lesson 3 – What Does Self Care Look Like for Me
- My body needs to be taken care of differently to continue functioning as I move into my 60th year.
- Plan exercise – walking, pilates, bike riding into my week. (Remember you want to do a Great Ocean Walk next year.)
- Making personal appointments when needed and not putting them off – (hairdresser, beautician, physio, blood tests etc.)
- Play dates with my husband, family and friends.
- Panning and taking me time for creative play.
- Being in contact with others.
Lesson 4 – Giving Myself Permission to Say No
- I have realised that it is okay to say no and not feel guilty to invitations and events when the timing, energy or inclination isn’t there. This one is a big one and relates closely to my continued self care.
2018 – WORD FOCUS
A year equals 365 opportunities so I like to choose a word that will guide me towards making decisions, positive and conscious changes and establishing beliefs and actions that contribute to a successful year that is packed with laughter, love, fun, happiness and success.
My word for 2018 is EMPOWERMENT.
As you move forward into 2018 take this message with you.
You may like to read more about Choosing a Focus word:-
Creating Positive Change 2017
Where Am I Going 2016?
Which Direction are You Going?
CREATING POSITIVE CHANGE 2017
How are you creating positive change 2017?
The beginning of each year is a great time to reflect on the year that was. This gives the opportunity to look towards positive change in all aspects of your life. Making New Year Resolutions has never worked for me. The emphasis seemed to be on making lists which focussed on small elements of my life. This didn’t result in any new behaviours in my thoughts, actions, beliefs and directions. I love this definition of New Year Resolutions – New Year Resolutions are a to do list for the first week of January.
WHAT I DO TO CREATE POSITIVE CHANGE
For the last six years I have focused on choosing a word (sometimes called a POWER word, FOCUS word or LIGHTHOUSE word). The word I choose will be guiding and supporting me in moving forward so I like to call it my LIGHTHOUSE word. This is my approach to creating positive change each year.
The LIGHTHOUSE words I have chosen over the last six years are:-
2014 IMPOSSIBLE (translated I’m Possible)
2015 BALANCE & MOMENTUM
LIGHTHOUSE word for 2017 is QUESTIONS.
Getting caught up in the busyness of doing life can sometimes mean loosing sight of what is important to us. When this happens we are just doing and not being. This is what happened to me in 2017.
As a result of being busy and caught up the health of my back suffered badly. Coming to a complete stop for eight weeks was not in my plans. Changing how I do everything in life is important if I am to be happy and healthy. The realisation that my body does not recover in the same way as it use to is a rude awakening.
Asking QUESTIONS will be my lens to determine how I am doing and what I am letting into my life.
QUESTIONS I WILL BE ASKING
- What is important to me at this time?
- Will this still be important to me in a year’s time? (Great question for when I start to stress and worry about things).
- What tasks / activities will have the biggest impact on reaching my goals? (self care, health, family, social, business)
- Are my expectations of myself at this time realistic?
- What am I spending time on?
- How do I want to be and feel?
- What am I not spending time on?
- How am I feeling? (ongoing monitoring)
These questions will become the benchmark for creating positive change in 2017. They will guide me to gain more clarity, energy, focus and balance in all areas of my life.
HOW WILL YOU BE CREATING POSITIVE CHANGE IN 2017?