What Does Starting a New Year Mean?
For me the new year is not about new beginnings. It is about continuing to grow and learn from the life lessons and experiences of the previous year. I like to think about how I am going to approach and move forward so that I have positive change in my thoughts, beliefs, actions, experiences, success and happiness.
Looking back is sometimes the way to move forward. The three words I would use to describe 2017 would be:-
- challenging – physically, emotionally and mentally I lost my way and came to a complete stop because I didn’t have the mental or physical capacity to do anything. Feeling this out of control with my life was scary and I came to a complete standstill.
- unexpected – I didn’t see this coming. I was in denial about how I was feeling and had ignored many warning signs over a period of time. Accepting and admitting out loud to another person that I wasn’t coping was the first step towards regaining myself and my life.
- self focussed – I needed to step aside to give myself the time and space to focus on my own well being and healing. Making the decision to step aside and consider stopping my business was so very hard but essential to my future well being. I have mostly thought of myself as being invincible and able to bounce back quickly.
2017 wasn’t the year that I had planned but it was a year that I gave back to myself and learnt some very valuable lessons to take with me into the future.
Lesson 1 – Recognise My Vulnerability
- I can’t fix everyone’s problems but I can be there to support and help when needed.
- My emotional state impacts greatly on my back which then results in pain and not being able to function at the level I want.
- It is not possible to do everything all of the time – need to be more realistic.
Lesson 2 – What is Important to Me?
- Making a difference to myself and others life – personal and business.
- Planning time to be with friends and family.
- Being creative – gardening, collaging, sewing, styling, playing piano and flute.
- Continuing with my business.
Lesson 3 – What Does Self Care Look Like for Me
- My body needs to be taken care of differently to continue functioning as I move into my 60th year.
- Plan exercise – walking, pilates, bike riding into my week. (Remember you want to do a Great Ocean Walk next year.)
- Making personal appointments when needed and not putting them off – (hairdresser, beautician, physio, blood tests etc.)
- Play dates with my husband, family and friends.
- Panning and taking me time for creative play.
- Being in contact with others.
Lesson 4 – Giving Myself Permission to Say No
- I have realised that it is okay to say no and not feel guilty to invitations and events when the timing, energy or inclination isn’t there. This one is a big one and relates closely to my continued self care.
2018 – WORD FOCUS
A year equals 365 opportunities so I like to choose a word that will guide me towards making decisions, positive and conscious changes and establishing beliefs and actions that contribute to a successful year that is packed with laughter, love, fun, happiness and success.
My word for 2018 is EMPOWERMENT.
As you move forward into 2018 take this message with you.
You may like to read more about Choosing a Focus word:-