8 PROMPTS FOR CREATING NEW OUTFIT COMBINATIONS
There are many unworn outfit combinations in most people’s wardrobes. Let’s discover how to create more outfits with what you already have. Take some time to think about how you approach putting an outfit together. Your habits and routines when getting dressed can sometimes result in outfits being on repeat and many clothing items not being worn. When this happens you are missing out on many outfit possibilities that are hiding in your wardrobe.
The secret to creating more outfit possibilities is to explore and experiment. Wardrobes are much more than a storage space for clothing items and to wear more of your clothes most of the time you need to think outfits and not individual clothing items. Just by changing your getting dressed habits and routines you can put some spark and interest into what you wear.
Let’s look at some ways to explore and experiment to create more outfit possibilities by shopping in your wardrobe.
Try these starting prompts to assist in exploring and creating new outfit combinations and note the term clothing item refers to clothes, shoes, jewellery, scarves, bag, hats etc.
- Choose an old favourite top / pants / shorts / skirt / dress to create an outfit. If you follow this prompt over a week you can potentially create 5 new combinations.
- Take a favourite item of clothing and team it with something very rarely or not worn.
- Select a coloured item of clothing first.
- Find something that you haven’t worn since last season and create a different outfit.
- Make your starting point a pair of shoes.
- Choose a necklace, brooch, earrings, bangle as your starting piece.
- Select a pattern piece of clothing and see what you can create.
- Choose a favourite outfit and change one item to make it look and feel different.
When you are changing any habit or routine it takes time so it may be best to set aside time the night before or on the weekend to create some new outfits for the next week.
It is important to take notice of how you feel in different combinations and take photos of those outfits that worked for you. This is important because we can very easily forget what worked.
MY OUTFIT COMBINATIONS FROM THESE PROMPTS
Examples of outfits that I created using the above outfit creating prompts.
Please note:- no photo of the last prompt because I forgot to take the photo. The outfit was the first one and I changed the shoes to a wedge black pair to wear out for dinner.